The best feature of Android – It’s open. You can modify Android to have the best performance from your phone. My previous Atrix’s hardware had some problem. So I didn’t root my/unlock my Atrix. However, after seeing the upcoming CM10 for my set & a battery friendly ROM yet 100% stable ROM, I finally decided to flash a custom ROM. What’s great? I’m successful. :)
How to Unlock Motorola Atrix Bootloader (4.5.141) AT&T
I’m a noob. So I was searching for a perfect & easy tutorial. The automatic bootlocker seems really confusing to me. So I decided to do it manually. It’s more easy & clear than the automatic version.
I’ll be writing this tutorial only for AT&T Atrix running 4.5.141 – Android 2.3.6 version. This tutorial will also work for AT&T 4.5.91 version. But don’t try this on AT&T 4.5.145/Bell/other international version. Once you flash CM7, you can never go back to Motorola’s Default ROM.
We’ll be flashing a custom ROM directly after unlocking the bootloader. So please download a custom rom & it’s Google Apps to your internal memory/SD Card. The main purpose of unlocking bootloader is to flash roms. So I don’t care whether Motorola’s buggy, laggy, sluggish, default blur ROM works or not.
We’ll be needing a couple of tools.
- We need the drivers for Atrix 4G. Download & install it from here (31.60 MB)
- We’ll need fastboot to unlock. Download fastboot from here
- We’ll need RSDLite. Download RSDLite 5.3.1
- Only for AT&T Atrix running 4.5.91/4.5.141 – We’ll need the 1.1 MB Unlocker Only SBF for AT&T Atrix. This tool will make ready your smartphone to unlock via fastboot command.
How to Unlock Bootloader Now?
If you’ve rooted already, take a backup of your apps with Titanium Backup. If not, then you’re gonna loose all your apps.
Unlocking Atrix 4G Bootloader 4.5.145 Step-by-step
- First of all, install RSDLite & extract the file 4547-fix-try2.sbf on your desktop.
- Extract fastboot to C://fastboot.
- Open RSDLite.
- Power off your phone. Press power button+volume down together. You’ll see a text “fastboot”. Then start pressing the volume down again & and again until you see “RSD“. Once it comes, press volume up button. It’ll say “Starting RSD Protocol”
- You’ll see that RSDLite has detected your phone in the menu. (SE Olympus or something like that)
- Now Click the “…” button in RSDLite & navigate the 4547-fix-try2.sbf file from your desktop.
- Click Start.
- Wait 5/6 minutes It’ll restart your phone. You’ll maybe see a boot error. (Just ignore it. Cause we’re gonna flash a new ROM anyway).
- After waiting some minutes, it’ll say it’s saying “starting fastboot protocol“
- We’re half done. We’ve extracted our fastboot files in C://fastboot
- Open Command Prompt with Admin Privilege
Type "cd fastboot"
- Type “fastboot devices” & see if your device is recognized by fastboot.
- Now type “fastboot oem unlock” it’ll give you a unique ID to unlock your phone.
- Type “fastboot oem unlock “XXXXXXXXXXXX (Unique ID)”
- BAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE’RE UNLOCKEDDD BABY!!!!
Flashing ClockWorkMod Recovery
(I’ve downloaded the latest recovery from romracer from here & placed it into the fastboot folder already)
- Reboot your phone into fastboot mode again. (If power button doesn’t do it, do a battery pull. To get into fastboot, Press power button+volume down together until you see fastboot & then press volume up)We’re in the command prompt still.
- So write
fastboot erase recovery
- Then write
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
YAY!!! BOOM! We’ve flashed unlocked the bootloader & flashed recovery!
To flash a rom now, go to recovery mode (Press power button+volume down together until you see fastboot & then keep pressing volume down & until you see “Android Recovery”. Once you see it, press volume up.
The ROM flashing guide is easy. Choose install zip from SD card & select your rom package & it’ll be installed. Reboot to enjoy your first custom ROM :)
I’ll not be responsible if you do any harm to your device